Cartier Énergie Éolienne was awarded a contract from Hydro-Québec Distribution to build and operate six wind farms on the Gaspé Peninsula, totaling 740 MW of installed power. The Carleton project is the third of these six wind farms and is slated to be put into service on December 1, 2008.
Borea Construction, a subsidiary of Pomerleau Inc. from a partnership with D.H. Blattner & Sons Inc., was responsible for the construction of 73 wind turbines of 1.5 MW each.
- The Borea team built 30 of the 45 kilometres of roadway in one of the snowiest winters on record.
- The 73 foundations were completed in 4 months.
- Borea coordinated the delivery of 730 wind turbine parts while the site work was in progress.
- An electrical network 62 km long was constructed in trenches underneath the roads without blocking their access.
Interesting facts and figures:
- Approximate area: 5,000 hectares
- Total installed power: 109.5 MW
- 73 model 1.5 sle GE wind turbines of 1.5 MW each
- Rotor diameter: 77 m, including the blades
- Underground electrical network: 62 km
- Rotation speed: 10 to 20 rpm
- Peak number of workers on the construction site: 325