The Promenade Samuel-De Champlain project involves transforming Champlain Boulevard into a unique park-lined urban boulevard. The splendid access to the river and immense green spaces created by this project will be enjoyed by many generations to come.
As Construction Manager, Pomerleau is responsible for delivering this jewel in Quebec City's crown. The 2.5 kilometre promenade will feature:
- a stairway will lead to the wooded area on top of the cliff with its interpretive walks, archeological relics and old forest;
- a rebuilt quay that will provide a wonderful fishing spot and close contact with the river;
- an observation tower on the quay and a Welcome Centre offering a wide range of services;
- an environment showcase that will include interpretive walks in the marsh as well as recreational and picnic areas;
- 2 soccer fields with a service building nearby and a multipurpose playing field for ballgames, etc.;
- a vast lawn that will ripple like the waves on the river, with islands of theme gardens that will become a preferred meeting and event venue;
- a bicycle path and pedestrian footpaths linking the various areas of the promenade will make it possible to to appreciate the magnificent landscapes and the river at their best;
- pedestrian footpaths leading to the river, in addition to kayak/canoe slips and launching facilities;
- parking spaces all along the riverbank will enable direct access to the promenade from Champlain Boulevard.
This project will be completed in time for Quebec City's 400th anniversary on July 3, 2008.